May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Day 29 - Lompoc to Carpinteria, CA



Up early eager to get on the bike and out of Lompoc I was southbound by 7am. The first few miles were cold with a brutal headwind and I just had to remind myself that these conditions wouldn’t last. That outlook manifested quickly and soon the southern Cali sun was beaming down. There were no services for 45 miles after Lompoc except a highway rest stop where I gladly refilled my water reserves from the water fountain. Once I was back into civilization I came across the first Chipotle I’ve seen so far in 1650 miles. You can bet I stopped and didn’t skimp on the chips and guac. I wonder if I can submit the longest chipotle ride record to Guinness? Rolling into the smaller beach town of Carpinteria I pulled into the campground here and it’s packed to the brim. Here in the hiker/biker section I’m suspecting they use the term “hiker” liberally. I see plenty of ramshackle tents here, and no bikes. The camp host informed me I’ll need to lock up my bike tonight if I want to see it in the morning. So yea, I think I’m sharing camp with some less fortunate folk. That’s just part of the experience, I suppose. I’ve got 90 something miles to go to reach a hostel near Hollywood I want to stay at. I’ll slice that into two easier days and meet my replacement contact lenses there on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment