May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Day 6 - Elma, WA to Toledo, WA


Today I made my first 70 mile ride, and while I feel accomplished it’s going to be the last of that distance until I can get this knee healthy. I waited until I hit Centralia this morning at about 35 miles in to have breakfast. Nothing majorly wrong until that point, but since I felt it beginning to flare-up I popped into a store and bought a knee brace hoping it would help. It seemed to make walking less painful, but riding worse. An hour later I ended up removing it and taking a long roadside rest before even attempting to ride again. It took me a total of 7 hours in saddle to make the miles after starting the day with a much faster pace and then limping along the rest of the way. I finally made a point to fill up a zip-lock with ice on my way into camp tonight and I should have been doing this for the past few days. It’s 80 miles from here to Astoria, OR and I’m just going to chop that up into two days and see if that helps. At this point it’s also probably looking like a rest day in Astoria would be a solid idea. This knee issue stems from a running injury last October, but they have a great bike shop in town and a fitting adjustment is on my agenda just in case. On a positive note I came across another one of my favorite road signs and discovered what 40mph feels like on a bicycle!



No comments:

Post a Comment