May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Day 5 - Belfair, WA to Elma, WA


The weekend is here and the parks are starting to get busier.  I met a nice group of RV’ers from Tacoma that I sat around the fire with before crashing last night.  This morning was the coldest of the trip thus far, and to get out of the tent I had to take a caffeine pill then scamper to the heated bathroom to put on every layer I had.  After that of course the morning ritual of breaking down camp and then I was off and pedaling by 7am.  Steady hills greeted me for the 30 miles from Belfair to Shelton. With Shelton being the biggest town of the day I’d hoped for something better, but with Dairy Queen the only spot open in town I settled for it.  After lunch I had 26 more miles to get to Elma and thankfully they were almost Florida flat because my knee was barking.  It actually hurts more to walk than to pedal which is good...I guess?  I’m staying in Elma RV Park tonight and was greeted with homemade chocolate chip cookies that they give to all their cycling guests.  Awesome spot with clean facilities and laundry machines which comes at a convenient time with zero clean clothes left in the panniers.  56 miles down today and it’s looking like tomorrow will be another 60 or so to make it into Toledo.



No comments:

Post a Comment