May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Monday, May 14, 2018

Day 13 - North Bend, OR to Denmark, OR


I was relieved to get off the highway for the first 35 of today’s 49 mile ride. For roughly the last  200 miles the 101 has cut inland and gone from a road with slower paced tourists to a speedway. I’ve come to welcome the hills anyway as the long climbs followed by downhill “free” miles seem to keep my knee happier than the flats. One of the first backroads on the route today absolutely fit the bill for this. Make no mistake, the devils were hills and I counted far more than seven! Halfway up the steepest one someone had left a pretty funny message on the pavement.

Later in the day when rolling through Bandon, OR I came across a home that had some awesome driftwood sculptures around the yard. There was one of a T-Rex, another of fisherman, and my favorite which was the cyclist. As I was stopping to grab pictures the artist came out to check the mail and we chatted for a bit about them. Being located on the adventure cycling route he see’s plenty of cycle tourists parked in front of this sculpture.

Tonight it’s back to camping and I’m here in a KOA that actually has hiker/biker rates. I wanted to go about 40 to 50 miles today and this was the only option in that range. KOAs definitely have their upsides, and when they’re not overpriced are a solid option.




No comments:

Post a Comment