May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Day 12 - Florence, OR to North Bend, OR


As expected I passed out early last night and had a fantastic, albeit cold slumber in the tent yesterday evening. The first few climbs and descents on US 101 today were encumbered with the densest fog, and I was lucky to see the headlights of a car coming up behind me within 30 feet or so. I finally took the earbuds out and paid close attention to the sound of oncoming traffic. By noon I’d made it 35 miles to the nearest state park, but didn’t feel that was enough to hang my hat on. It’s a real balancing act that I’m going through right now as my mind and aerobic capacity want that 100 mile day, but the injury says otherwise. The living to fight another day strategy has been working thus far, and I know that’ll be the only way to make it the next 2,500 miles. With that said, no easy peasy ride taken today in the 62 miles to North Bend. So much time spent on the trafficy 101 burned me the F out. Rewards points got me a free hotel here with a jacuzzi, in which this entire post was written from, a plush bed and free breakfast. Didn’t have any laundry detergent sadly so we’ll see how all my smelly clothes turn out just on the extra hot cycle. Tomorrow I may really, possibly, conceivably do fewer miles. Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment