May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Day 11 - Lincoln City, OR to Florence, OR


The plan today was to take an easier 50ish mile day and meet up with the two cyclists from last night in a USFS campground. There wasn’t much between the two locations except amazing Pacific coastline, so I ate in the town of Yachats about 5 miles out from the originally planned destination. After the lunch break I had stiffened up significantly and what I thought were the final five miles didn’t feel too nice. I learned a lesson when I arrived about the difference between the fantastic Oregon State Parks and the US Forest Service areas. The former has $8 hiker/biker rates as well as free showers at every single park. The USFS Park wanted $26 to pitch a tent and they didn’t have showers at all. The camp host ended up offering a bit of a discount, but I asked them to let the two I was meeting up with know that’d I’d gone to the closet State Park if/when they arrived. I spent the better part of an hour weighing the decision to stay there while I did what I could to loosen back up. Once I was back on the road I caught a second wind pain-wise and made quick work of the extra miles. There’s no cell service here in the park, though, which is more troublesome to this millennial than I care to admit. Nobody else here (yet) and it’s getting colddd. Possibly a real early night for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment