May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Friday, May 11, 2018

Day 10 - Manhattan Beach, OR to Lincoln City, OR


73 more miles today brought me into Devil’s Lake State Park. Oregon continued it’s assault on the gap in my fitness involving long, charming climbs. 3400 feet of elevation gained and 2300 calories shed according to Strava which isn’t aware of the extra weight I have in tote. Twice today I was on extended climbs, once at 30 miles in and the other came painfully late in the day as I was uphill most of the way into Lincoln City this afternoon. During that second climb I snapped the photo above of the word danger written twice in two different colors of what appeared to be sidewalk chalk. Not knowing what perils lay ahead I bravely pedaled forth to find a one inch drop and a change from tarmac to gravel for roughly fifty yards before it switched back to pavement. I’m just glad I lived to tell the tale! Here in camp I’ve got some great company. After the all important beer run I hung out with the girl from Paris whom had set out hiking for 3 weeks on the PCT before quitting to switch to cycling and a dude from Marin County who is cranking out over a century a day. We had a great time and will hopefully be meeting up tomorrow evening again. How many bonus points do I get for finding a Blockbuster Video?



No comments:

Post a Comment