May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Day 9 - Astoria, OR to Manhattan Beach, OR


Well I was back doing the pedaling thing today after convincing myself to part with the motel room a bit later than I normally set out following a night in the tent. Creature comforts are just too damn comfortable! From Astoria the route took me inland through Ft. Clatsop State Park for 20 tame miles before handing me off to the Pacific. I passed through a tunnel around Arch Cape and then began the grand climb of the day. I’m sure glad I had a week of training if today was any indicator of what the rest of the coast will be like. Halfway into the 5 mile ascent seemingly out of nowhere it begins to pour. Pulling to the side of the road I start digging through my panniers looking for the rain gear which of course is buried down at the bottom after having been lucky with the weather up until now. I’ll be sure that all stays front and center moving forward as cold rain really sucks. Once the climb was over I enjoyed the first of many incredible views of the Pacific Ocean, and reached camp with 53 miles total.




1 comment: