May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 51 [Live Oak, FL]


Another day on the lovely route 90 brought me 65 miles closer to St. Augustine.  Sweat just pours out of you in this accurately depicted "Sunshine State".  Today it was 94 degrees w/ humidity, just a total freaking swamp.  Getting off the bike anywhere but a town is miserable because a million gnats instantly swarm on you.  I've never had a bug in both eyes at the same time before riding through Florida.  Sweating by the gallon has turned me into a somewhat of a wuss about camping.  Motels here are only 35-40 dollars, and allow for much better sleep.  It doesn't get below 75 degrees here until around midnight, and I can't sleep when I'm hot.  I may as well climb a little further into debt before the trip is over anyway, right?  I passed another cyclist today whom was just starting out and heading west.  I have a feeling he'll be regretting setting out this late in the season fairly soon.  Also, I saw a baby miniature horse today...pretty darn cute.  Tomorrow I'll be in Gator-land (Gainesville, FL).  

No comments:

Post a Comment