May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 52 [Gainesville, FL]


I had a very interesting, albeit disturbing start to my long ride to Gainesville today.  Sometime after midnight I was awoken by a knock on the door of my crack-motel.  I decided not to get out of bed, and just to let the meandering drunk go away on his own.  I heard him knock on the surrounding doors, and then he/she was gone.  It took me a little while to get back to sleep while I was wondering if it was going to come back and meet my canister of bear mace.  After an iffy night of rest, I woke up around 5am to get an early start on the 80 mile day in an effort to try and avoid some of this Florida heat.  As I was wheeling my bike out the door, a woman drunker than all hell stumbled up cussing at an invisible person.  When she saw me, her mood temporarily changed as she put on a more pleasant face and asked if she could come into my "crib".  Apparently, to degenerates, no doesn't mean no because she decided to try and enter my room anyway.  I grabbed her by the shirt and stopped her as she was at the doorway.  I told her she better leave before I have her arrested.  She then stumbled off into the night, this time cussing at me instead of the invisible friend.  Groggy and tired, I set off into the night and rode the first 10 miles in darkness.  It was kind of relaxing in a way, but at the same time I could hardly see the road hazards that I was running over.  When the sun came up, I rode through another 10 or so miles of fog before the sun was able to burn it away.  Oh yea, I found a Chipotle here in Gainesville.  What better way to get those calories back?

No comments:

Post a Comment