May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 43 [Poplarville, MS]


Long day today, mostly because I was reluctant to get out of my sleeping bag in the 50 degree weather this morning.  I was finally on the road by 9:30 or so, and arrived at my campground here in Poplarville by about 6pm.  80 total miles ridden, the first 30 or so consisting of rolling hills and the last 50 being a grab bag of hills and flats.  It was all worth it near the end of the ride when I crossed over into Mississippi, though!  I found my buddies on the road as well.  I rode with them for a little while, but they proved to be too quick for me without their gear loaded on their bikes.  The "welcome to Mississippi" sign was incredibly lame, but what can you do?  There was another sign a mile after this one that would have made for a better photo, but it required trekking through some tall grass and after all the dead snakes I've been seeing on the side of the road I decided against it.  More long days are ahead of me, and I'm learning that proper sleep makes all the difference.  At the beginning of the trip I didn't get the best rest in my tent, but now I sleep like a log in it.  I suppose I've gotten over my fear of bobcats, werewolves, or whatever the hell I was so afraid of.

1 comment: