May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Day 44 [Vancleave, MS]


I had a nice ride through rural Mississippi back roads today.  Not a single gas station or restaurant for 70+ miles, but I managed to make do by asking churches along the way to refill my water holdings.  Six hours of riding and I was here in my next campground.  I set up my tent and walked into town to find food having not eaten since 8:30 this morning.  A redneck here at the campground told me there was a Subway a mile down the road to the left. Well I walked that mile, and a little extra...no Subway or any other place to get food.  So I turned around and walked back the other way, all in all tallying about 3 miles of walking around before I was able to find some grub.  A real fun game to play when you are starving.  Back at the campground I hung out with three other touring cyclists for an hour or so.  One couple from Montana, and a man from Colorado who I met last night at my campground in Poplarville.  Tomorrow's a cool day.  It brings me to Alabama, and in particular a little island off the coast of Alabama that I never knew existed until this trip.  These smaller states are so fun to bike through because you can rip right by them in a day or two!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi and your out of there. Closer and closer to St. A.

    See you soon

    Love Ya

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy some nuts, protein bars, chia seeds, dried kale, something to sustain your energy on these long stretches of solitary travel!

    ReplyDelete