May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day 40 [Simmesport, LA]

 I had another nice 70 mile ride today on Louisiana's smooth, flat, and shoulder-less roads.  By accident I met up with David and Nancy again when we ran into each other on the road.  We pedaled together and chatted for fifteen miles until they breaked for lunch.  I then rode through Chicot State Park, which was gorgeous and car free.  Since entering this state I've been noticing the thick Cajun accent that is portrayed on that History Channel show, Swamp People.  I thought

 that show was an exaggeration, but
it turns out these gator grapplin', crawfish craving folk really do talk funny!  They are very friendly and talkative people though, at least the ones I've run across.  Here in Simmesport I am camping out for free in a country park.  No luxuries here, like a clean toilet or a shower, but hey I'm fond of the price.  Tomorrow I'm taking a shorter day, one that will bring me to the end of map 5 of my 7 map pack.  What'll remain after that is a mere 850 miles.  Sounds like a lot, but at 60 miles a day I will shred through it pretty quickly.  That finish line is close, and I can taste it.  As much as I don't want this trip to end, I want this trip to end.  Waking up in a bed every morning and home-cooked meals are becoming a distant memory.  This is the adventure of a lifetime, but certain things you can't help but miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment