May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 39 [Mamou, LA]


Keeping an eye on the weather I didn't know if I'd be moving today, but finally around 11:30am I began pedaling.  The rain that I thought had ceased slowly started to get heavier until I was drenched, and then it finally stopped for good once it was sure that I was soaked.  Then, for the first time on the trip I had my front tire go flat on me.  I know all to well what it feels like to have the rear tire go flat, but the front flat is a new sensation.  It took me a hundred feet or so to realize what was going on, and riding the flat caused me to have to apply three patches instead of one.  This setback combined with my late start caused me to fall short of my goal for the day of 80 miles, which would have brought me to a campground.  I stopped at 60 miles in the small town of Mamou, where I found a hotel for $40 cash.  It was already 7pm so my daylight was running out.  It's actually a very nice room, but an odd hotel.  I had to call the number on the door to get the owner to drive out and check me in.  It's also weird because they leave all of the unoccupied room doors open.  It's kind of creepy to see a hallway full of dark rooms (there's only one other guest here) especially in this old building.  Here's to a ghost-free night and a good ride tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. Free Shower and a quiet hotel; what more could one ask for? Ok, all kidding aside, I am happy you are safe and remain in good spirit.
    love you, mamma

    ReplyDelete