May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 36 [Thicket, TX]

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!  I didn't even realize it when I took the picture of this old house today, but how fitting.  I rode by quite a few homes that time has forgotten today, and many microscopic towns as well.  Personally I don't understand how some of these little places are even on the map, but apparently out here all you need to be considered a "town" is to have a church.  For example, the town I am staying in tonight has a tiny RV park (with just one other guest), a church, and a vending machine.  Thank to Verizon's amazing service I'm still able to get online, though!  Today the roads flattened out after about the first 20 miles, but there were some mild headwinds to fight.  I get the comfort of air conditioning tonight, because this RV park let me stay in a trailer instead of camping out.  That also means I don't have to put out my tent, which I enjoy because the morning routine of packing everything up has become the bane of my existence.  At one point during my ride today another guy on a bicycle came up next to me and chatted on with me for 10 miles or so.  He was just out for a short ride, but he had a lot of questions about my adventure and the company always makes the miles go quicker.  Not everyone you pass is so nice and friendly, however.  I'd like to take this opportunity to express my thoughts on all of the elitist cyclists with their thumbs up their butts thinking that they're to good to wave to a touring cyclist.  You're not cool because you weigh less than your 5,000 dollar carbon-fiber bike.  I wouldn't rant about this if it hadn't happened to me multiple times, but  for whatever reason there are so many of these awful pricks riding around on bicycles that can't remember why they started riding bikes in the first place: for fun.  Enough on that.  I'm comfortable in my country bumpkin trailer and am probably going to go watch some Deadwood episodes now.

1 comment:

  1. So a vending machine replaced a General Store in Thicket, TX?
    Switching from AT+T to Verizon was a good forethought on your part;-)

    ReplyDelete