May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 37 [Silsbee, TX]


I took a short day today for rest, but battled some strong winds from the east for almost the entire duration of the ride.  Just a few miles out from my campground I got the first flat tire I've had in awhile.  Those gatorskins I bought are good, but I suppose not invincible.  Lucky for me I happened to break down right in front a small one-man shop that sold golf carts and bicycles!  As I was going through the motions of fixing the flat, the owner of the shop crossed the street in his truck and told me to load everything in it.  Back in his shop we used an air-compressor to re-inflate the tire, which made life a lot easier than cranking it out with my dinky hand pump.  He then showed me around his shop, which housed many gas and electric bicycles, as well as some tricked out golf carts (even one made by Lamborghini).  Mr. J.P. White then told me he knew where the campground I was going was, and he'd be glad to take me there.  He did, but not before taking me to McDonalds and instructing me to order anything I wanted with him paying for it.  If only every flat tire turned out so awesome.  


Since I had an easy day, I had plenty of time to update the blog and do my laundry before dinner.  I enjoyed a sit down meal at Chili's tonight with a couple that I had met in New Mexico, David and Nancy.  We had a great feast at Chili's and a fun time filling each other in with stories from the road since the last time we met.  They were very kind to treat me to dinner.  Two free meals in one day!  I think I am finally starting to get the hang of this life on the road thing.  Tomorrow will be a long haul to Deridder.  70+ miles with a headwind, so there's that to look forward to.  Time for a full night's rest on a full belly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment