May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 35 [Pumpkin, TX]


Yes, I am staying in a town called Pumpkin tonight.  A town so small and cutely named that Google Maps refuses to recognize its existence.  Today brought more hills, but gentler ones.  I can tell that they are dying out and I will soon be out of the Texas hill country, and Texas all together for that matter.  Today was much cooler than yesterday, in which I was hemorrhaging sweat and as a result had gnats ransacking my face.  The only bug issues I had today was one worthless beetle-sized bug that fly head on into my left eye.  That little kamikaze bastard hurt me pretty good.  The ride today was very pretty because it was mostly through Sam Houston National Forest.  Trees on both sides and not many cars, mostly just the occasional park ranger asking me if I was okay when I'd just be dismounting the bike to take a leak.  Anyway, the past few days I have been learning how to increase my hobo level.  I have all but stopped looking for good lunches and have started resorting to sitting outside convenience stores eating turkey n' cheese Lunchables midday...and sometimes for breakfast.  Don't really care what it is or who's watching me bum it up, just let me wolf it down and get back to pedaling, please.  The past three days have been 65, 70, and 60 mile days, respectively.  My legs are starting to get burnt out from the hills so I think tomorrow will be a 50 mile day, and then a 35 miler the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment