May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 15 [Willcox, AZ]

I was able to finally get back on the road again today, although after about 20 minutes I sorely regretted it.  I was showered, fed, and pedaling by 8am this morning.  When I left, it was probably no more than 35 degrees, and throughout the day I don't think it ever got above 45, especially with the windchill.  Three layers of clothing, including a windbreaker layer, couldn't keep the cold from me.  I suppose it did for a little while, hence why I was able to convince myself to get on that bike this morning.  But after you take that first short break, your sweat quickly cools down underneath the clothing and it makes you pretty damn cold.  After about 40 miles of this nonsense I stopped in a town called Willcox.  I had planned on making it another 20 miles to a campground, but after checking the weather and seeing that it was going to get down into the 30's again tonight I decided just to grab a warm and cozy motel here in town.  I thought a sore ass was pain, but riding long distances in cold weather is pure agony.  Tomorrow it should warm nearly back up to the beautiful Arizona weather that I was growing accustomed to.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work Adam. I enjoy reading about your travels. We saw snow on Four Peaks in Phoenix on Sunday; so we know it can get cold out there. One Christmas I drove to Seattle (no comparison to your trip:); leaving Phoenix when it was 80 degrees. I did not realize I forgot my winter clothes until I got to Flagstaff, where the temp dropped 50 degrees. Never again, I keep warm clothes in my trunk just in case.
    I have a friend outside of Fort Lauderdale, IF you are going that far South, who offered up her home for you to crash one night. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete