May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 14 [Benson, AZ]

Update (2):  Weather has got me cornered for one more day.  Somehow it is 35 degrees and SNOWING in Arizona...definitely something I didn't foresee.  The owners of this KOA kindly upgraded me to a heated cabin at no additional charge last night so that I didn't have to sleep in 25 degrees outside.  Tomorrow it should clear up and be back to normal sunny weather for the most part (probably about 50 degrees), and then maintain good conditions for the rest of the ride into El Paso.  


Update:  Stuck at the Benson KOA for the day.  High winds and rainy weather has me trapped here.  Day 15 will have to wait until tomorrow!  Hanging out in the laundry room here with a good book and a TV for when the NCAA games come on later.


Biking across america.  I'm beginning to think that it's just an elaborate way to have a sore ass for 80 days.  After about the first 20 miles each day, I require a short break about every 30 minutes just to get off that seat for a moment.  I'm now on my third seat, and realizing I'm just going to have to accept the fact that any bike seat you sit on for 5-6 hours a day is going to cause some pain.  Today I began my long hike on I-10 towards El Paso.  I'm not gonna lie, the highway can be a little nerve-wracking.  I'm going to pretty much be on it for the next 270 miles, so I'd better get used to the bleak and bland atmosphere that the interstate provides.  53 miles today, but I could have rode just one and seen the same amount of scenery change.  I suppose this is still a fair price to pay to avoid an aneurysm on those mountain climbs.  Tonight brings another overpriced night at a greedy KOA campground.  I was able to talk the lady down to 24 from 28 dollars, but still, a rip off just to pitch a tent.

2 comments:

  1. That is why I switched over to a recumbent . . no sore butt . . no sore anything actually. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! . . I'm glad you got that cabin Adam!

    ReplyDelete