May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 13 [Tucson, AZ]

Lucky day number thirteen ended with me arriving at my friend Elaine's house in Tucson.  48 more miles tallied today, which I'm starting to realize is about my comfort zone.  50-60 miles currently is my upper echelon for what I can ride in a day, and then be able to rinse and repeat the following day.  Which isn't too bad, and in fact I've come a long way since the first time that I rode 50 miles in one day.  I was sore for five days after the first time!  Anyway, I feel like I've been failing to tell you all about some of the most joyful parts of my trip by neglecting to describe some of the folks I meet on the road.  Every day, almost without exception, I will see at least one other cycle-tourer on the road or at my campsite.  Generally they are fascinating people, like myself of course, and super nice.  The best part is that usually a person you meet on the road has met someone else that you have met on the road, and so stories get tossed around and it all just feels like we belong to one big happy club.  Well, today I think I met the most interesting guy yet, along with his companion.  Brad and his dog, Xena, had started in Georgia 150 days ago and were walking across America together.  This guy had lots to share with me and was pretty freaking cool.  It seems like a hell of a good idea to bring a dog with you, to keep you company and be your faithful security guard.  I am exhausted right now and am thinking I will probably stay another night in Tucson tomorrow.  I need to go buy a map so I can plan out my route to El Paso from here.  Everyone have a happy Friday if you don't hear from me until Saturday or Sunday!  Oh, I almost forgot, one more thing:  If you are out there lurking (reading this without signing up to the blog), please consider clicking on the "Join this site" button to your right.  I know I have plenty of people reading this because I can see the number of page views per day.  If you sign up you can leave comments on my posts, which make me happy.  So please consider it.

4 comments:

  1. Adam: Love reading your blog. I have stopped lurking and signed up! Continued good luck, safe travels & lots of fun! Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, it's great that you make it a point to talk to people along the way.
    It looks like Brad is walking for a cause from the sign on his trike. I am sure he had some interesting stories to offer up. Is he camping or staying at motels? What kind of breed was Xena?
    Keep on sharing your stories, I love to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam! . . . good talking to you today at Quizno's in Vail. We'll keep in touch while I am on my trip to Maine starting on March 22nd. I read your blog from the beginning . . very interesting!. . but I'm sure that there are more adventures to come, and mine will begin in 4 more days! It will be fun tracking your journey, along with my friend Linda up in Canada. Mercy, life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice meeting you too, Dennis. Thanks for following and let me know your blog address when you get underway!

      Delete