May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 16 [Bowie, AZ]

Not a whole lot of pedaling today on my 23 mile ride to Bowie.  The next town is Lordsburg, NM which is about another 50 miles and I didn't think I'd make it before sundown given my late start today.  My RV park campground for tonight is a pretty interesting one.  It's my kind of lodging, at only $5 a night, but I'm pretty sure I won't be taking a shower here in the morning.  The bathrooms are pretty much condemned.  I met an interesting fellow, whose name escapes me at the moment, while I was setting up my tent.  He came over and asked me the usual questions about my ride, and then proceeded to give me a warning about not getting "stuck" in this RV park.  I was confused until he explained what he meant in his story about walking across America with his donkey.  It seems that five years ago this man left Washington, DC and set out towards California.  When his donkey died here in Bowie, Arizona he set up a homestead in this RV park and has been here ever since.  Pretty interesting dude.  He also warned me about these little thorny weeds called 'goat heads'.  I had rolled my bike up to my tent like I always do, but this time it was in a field full of these little land mines.  Sure enough I pulled about 10 of them out of my tires, and then had to patch my rear tire because it had dropped to about half its normal PSI load.  Tomorrow is an exciting day because I cross my second state border and get to take another heroic picture of myself by the Welcome to New Mexico highway sign!
A 0-star room with a 5-star view.
An old gas station; for Dennis Thorp.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it's straight out of the X-Files Adam. Thanks a million. Keep an eye out, you are now in saucer territory!

    ReplyDelete