May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 3 [Boulevard, CA]

I'm not one to make excuses (okay yes I am), but you see that mountain on the left side of the page?  That's been the first three days of the tour.  It's well known to be the most difficult portion of the entire trip, so thank  God I am almost through it.  These steep hills are pretty wild to do on a bicycle, and even crazier to do on a bike with an extra 50 pounds of gear loaded on it!  Tomorrow I'll have a couple short climbs followed by an epic downhill and finally a pretty straight shot into El Centro, CA.  This will be the first big town I've seen since leaving San Diego, and it's coming just in time because I may need to visit a doctor there.  This illness isn't getting any better, and I'm starting to suspect that antibiotics may be needed to fix me up.  Tomorrow I either book 50 miles, or I sleep on the side of the road - there's nothing in between here and there.  Better get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment