May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 2 [Pine Valley, CA]

Good lord my legs were burning today on the continous 16 mile climb from Alpine to Pine Valley.  As soon as I got into town I knew I wasn't going to make it another 20 miles to my original goal of Live Oak Springs.  There's a motel in town, but I've been spending too much money on those already.  No camp grounds are available in town, so I stopped by a county park and found the park ranger who I puppy dogged into letting me camp there tonight.  The only catch is that I have to wait until the park closes at 6pm before setting up my tent.  Pretty freaking awesome.  Touring around town I chatted with a few locals about the trip, and they all told me that I just took care of the biggest climb I'd see for awhile.  In addition, a man in the diner I ate breakfast at this morning happens to own a bed & breakfast in Lousiana, 90 miles west of New Orleans.  We exchanged e-mails and he offered to let me stay there for as long as I need for free once I get there!  Tomorrow should be a big day as long as these twin turbines I call legs can recover tonight.  And note to self: start wearing sunscreen.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome news about the Park Ranger allowing you to camp;and for hooking up with the owner of the Bed & Breakfast in New Orleans;stay there a couple of nights!!
    Keep those twin turbines burning :=)
    Any names for the silver bullet bike yet?

    ReplyDelete