May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Day 31 & 32 - Malibu to San Bernadino, CA


Back to riding today after a well deserved two days off in LA. It’s a gigantic city so of course I only got to see the tip of the iceberg on what it has to offer. I spent three nights in the wonderful Melrose Hostel which is situated three miles away from Hollywood. After exploring during the daytime I’d go back and party with the roommates on the roof. I honestly can’t wait for my next opportunity to book a hostel!

While in town I was able to hit a few big tourist attractions. I was treated to a Warner Brother’s Studio Tour by family that works for them. This was a 2 hour tour that included the original Central Perk set from Friends, a visit to the props warehouse, and a freaking Batmobile room. The following morning I walked around the Hollywood Stars sidewalks before heading up to Griffith Observatory for the afternoon. The observatory is an awesome free attraction with hiking trails leading up to it. I ended up hiking back to the hostel after watching a Big Bang movie in the planetarium.

In the saddle this morning I split time evenly between pedaling and sitting at stoplights. I’m going through the LA urban sprawl so it was just suburb after suburb. After 40 miles of that I was thankful for a 30 mile bike path, although even that still had its fair share of road crossings. Out of the cold and the rain and straight into the oven I go. It’s hot, and my water needs are skyrocketing. There were  no camping or hostel options on the route today so I’m in one of the worst motel rooms I’ve seen. Camping options on this portion of the route are really sparce, but once I get out of the ‘burbs I think wild camping spots should be easy to come by in the desert. As I write this the Washington Capitals just finished off Vegas to win the Stanley Cup! Proud of hometown that hadn’t won a championship in any of the major sports in nearly three decades.


No comments:

Post a Comment