May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Day 3 - Anacortes, WA to Poulsbo, WA


Have you ever thought about what your favorite road sign is?  After today I sure as shit know mine.  I was up early again and back in the saddle by around 7:30.  I’m starting to recall certain elements from my previous tour, and the biggest one that came to me today is that the first 5 miles in the morning are always the worst.  Joints are clicking and muscles are burning.  Every part of your body except (maybe) your brain are just asking what was so bad about that warm cozy sleeping bag you so readily abandoned?  As such, yea, I had difficulty getting going and had rapidly resolved to stopping at a county park 40 miles away.  27 miles in I arrived at the ferry that goes from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend at around 10:30. The next boat didn’t leave for a bit and I ended up losing over 2 hours before reaching Port Townsend. 


Getting back to pedaling I spent the next hour on a reinvigorating bike path that ended just shy of the originally planned campsite.  Aside from the obvious physical stressors of riding I also find it draining to constantly be looking up at the helmet mirror making sure death isn’t headed for you.  Feeling strong I pressed on across 22 more miles of rolling “gentle” hills as the lady at the grocery store phrased it.  Not so much.  I did finally make it into Kitsap State Park for the evening where I treated myself to a double shower.  I’ll explain my comedy of errors I’ve had with Washington State Park’s shower token system another time.  62 miles today!


1 comment:

  1. wow- adam, amazing journey so far! just for comparison, the first hour of warming up to an excel spreadsheet may not be any better than those first 5 miles. sending good vibes your way from windsor!

    ReplyDelete