May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Day 20 & 21 - Myers Flat to Little River, CA


As suspected Myers Flat, CA was not the most exciting town in the world to be stranded in. I stopped into the little coffee shop in town, then the general store, and finally made it to drive-thru redwood tree attraction (with no car so I was let in for free). After that I had exhausted the town’s attractions. I walked about the RV Park making small talk to pass the time, and then read at the river for a bit. Tuesday morning I tracked the package and saw it was out for delivery from Eureka some 50 miles away. I knew it’d be awhile so I did some housekeeping cleaning the bike and the tent. Thankfully the RV park manager was cool about me staying past checkout time without charging, and when the package did arrive shortly after 3pm they called right away for me to come pick it up. My life raft out of Myers Flat was finally here! Two new foldable tires and a functioning air pump. Setting out so late in the day meant I was only able to make it 30 miles to Richardson Grove State Park just south of Benbow. California State Parks seem to all be just $5 for their hiker/biker sites, which is much appreciated. 


Wednesday was an enjoyable 75 mile day that brought me onto US 1 and back to the Pacific. Before the heavy climb of the day into Leggett I met another tourist on the road who had biked from San Diego to Arcata and was now headed back home. We got to the top of the 2000 foot hill and bombed down to sea level before hitting some steep rollers into Fort Bragg. After stopping in town for a meal and a couple of beers he decided to grab a motel and call it a day. In an effort to make up time I pushed on to Van Damme State Park. Getting in just after 6pm I had plenty of time to setup camp and grab the shower I’d missed yesterday. Pretty tired from the ride and there’s no cell service here. Going to try and get to sleep early and do another long haul tomorrow. 


1 comment: