May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 31 [Hondo, TX]

Today was just another hard fought day in my adventure.  The poor roads continued for me, although they did at least get a tad better.  Worse than the road surfaces were the constant 10 to 15 mph headwinds that were just punching me in the face all day long.  It took me five hours to go 42 miles, which is a pretty lazy pace compared to what I'm used to.  I actually found out from a man at the diner I ate breakfast at why these roads are so bad.  He told me that they choose to make them a little rough in this part of Texas because of all the lower-income families' cars leaking oil.  Oil all over the place would make a smooth asphalt road very slippery, but not so with a crappy bumpy road.  Its been quite a while now since I've had a nice easy day without hills/flat tires/crappy roads.  I hope I've been saving some up and get to enjoy them soon.  Tomorrow I'll arrive in San Antonio, and I'm not yet sure if I'll be staying there a night or just passing through.

2 comments:

  1. Adam

    I thought you might not get all the news on the road, so FYI a missed opportunity. It is reported that a Vietnamese man bought Buford, Wyo for $900,000. Now he can be that one lonely man or start a tourist attraction. What is your bet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I met you at the bike shop in Del Rio. I've been keeping up. As long as you write, I'll read. I'll call a few people in San Antonio to try to get you a place to stay. And depending if you go to Austin, Houston, and New Orleans, I'll find ya a place to stay.

    Lucas
    email me @ lucky_luc03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete