May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 29 [Brackettville, TX]

Here's me midday smelling like crap.  You see the shower that I was so excited about being free yesterday was free for a reason:  it no worky.  I also have been wearing the same shirt for 3 days because all of my clothes are dirty.  Yea today was probably about the dirtiest I've ever felt in my life.  That's not gel holding my hair up, but rather the perfect combination of sweat and dirt.  The ride today was short but painful.  They were redoing the roads, which used to be made out of old tarred-down gravel.  Texas, in it's infinite wisdom, didn't update the roads to smooth asphalt.  Instead, they chose to lay down new tarred-down gravel.  The tar was still tar, and the gravel was loose.  The absolute worst surface for bicycles ever invented.  I wish Virginia would step in and show Texas how to make a sensible road.  Anyway, tonight I am in a campground with working showers and a laundry machine, so both of my problems will be solved soon.  As far as my route goes, I am once again deviating slightly from my ACA maps for a few days.  This will allow me to roll through San Antonio, which I'd like to see.  I also just received an e-mail from a couple I met on the road a couple weeks back offering to give me a ride in their rent-a-car to Austin from Bastrop if I can make it there the same time as them.  Only problem is I'd have to hurry and probably couldn't grab that rest day I've been craving.  We'll see how it goes, though.

2 comments:

  1. You are humorous. I am glad you cannot transmit smell on a blog. How much longer will you be in Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'll show Texas how to make roads! Maybe there's business in Texas for the company I work for. I wonder why they don't make them better. Maybe they just don't have enough money.

    ReplyDelete