May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 27 [Langtry, TX]

 Above you'll see my view of Sanderson from the top of a mountain as the sun was setting.  This guy Craig that I met at the RV park yesterday was a cool dude from Oklahoma.  He instructed me on how to get up to the top of the mountain and then let me borrow his 4-wheeler!  I haven't used gasoline in over a month (or ridden a 4-wheeler in 10 years) so it was a blast for me.  I thought the view was pretty spectacular as well, but you be the judge.
 Today was a hell of a 60 mile ride.  I'd have to say it was certainly the most difficult terrain I've seen, but my first few days of riding were harder only because my legs weren't with the program yet.  Steep ups and downs all day long in hot, blaring sun.  I'd go from climbing at 5 mph for awhile to bombing down a hill at 30 mph over and over.  I sort of enjoy this type of riding now that my legs can handle it, however 60 miles of it still wears me down.  It is so exhilarating and rewarding to fly at 30+ miles per hour on a bicycle after you just worked your butt off to conquer a big hill.  About 45 miles into my ride at the hottest point in the day I hit an extremely steep climb that lasted about a mile and a half.  I somehow made it up but I was sweating buckets the whole way.
Laugh it up, because this last picture is of where I am sleeping tonight.  After the long haul today this town of Langtry is the first town I have seen since leaving Sanderson this morning.  The population of the town is an overwhelming 17 people.  This is actually the first place on the trip that I haven't had cell reception.  There obviously isn't much in town, but there is a tiny RV park, which is vacant other than this lone trailer.  A sign was posted on it that said "for rent" with a phone number.  It has a shower, A/C, electricity, a refrigerator, and is pretty clean.  I got it for $25 bucks and couldn't be happier with it.  I'll need a good nights rest after the day I had and the fact that I'll be pretty much repeating it tomorrow.  Dinner is a bag of Fritos and a gallon of water...not much to choose from in Langtry's general store either.

2 comments:

  1. OMG...how are you getting enough water? Did you fill up the camel-back and water bottles with another gallon?
    The RV park is hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,

    I find your daily writings very interesting. Like the inclusion of the photos as well. I would suspect that some RV travelers may stop at the park from time to time. Who would have thought you would find an RV for a one night rental. BTW send some of the heat to Rehoboth.

    ReplyDelete