May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Day 20 [El Paso, TX]

Riding through a pecan orchard on my way to El Paso
New Mexico flew by quickly and I have arrived in Texas already!  The better news is that I am finally off of the interstate and as such can now enjoy all the beauty of the land that the freeway hides.  Somehow I missed the "Welcome to Texas" sign while I was relishing in said beauty though.  I guess I can make pretend and take a picture of the sign as I am exiting Texas in a few weeks.  El Paso is one crazy city.  It is huge, and hilly like San Francisco.  It is about 70% Hispanic, walking distance from Mexico, and probably should just change it's name to Texaco.  I was able to enjoy a much needed rest day here as I gear up for my conquest of desolate Texas.  My friend from college, Meagan, and her husband, Zach, were kind enough to put me up for a couple of nights.  They took me out to one of their favorite restaurants so that I could experience authentic Mexican food - very, very good!  I also was able to tune up the bike a bit as well as get her nice and clean for the road ahead.  I planned out my next 16 days, which will see me through something like 850 miles and almost to the other end of Texas.  I'm sticking with my Adventure Cycling route and steering clear of the interstate from here on out.  It's too visually bland and the shoulder of it is a crap shoot between clean and littered with all sorts of smut.  Thanks again to Zach, Meagan, and their cute little one, Grace.  I told them they were going to be pictured on my blog, and Meagan told me to keep the picture small, but I can't do that because then you wouldn't see the lovely family!

1 comment:

  1. So glad Fiona coaxed you off of the visually bland impaling route to enjoy some of the beauty that America has to offer.
    Authentic Mexican food; where did that heat rank on the spice monitor?
    Awesome hosts ;-))

    ReplyDelete