May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Day 34 - Hodge to Ludlow, CA


So not my best day today, in fact it was the only time I’ve truly been miserable on this tour. Last night  the symptoms got worse as I waited for the heat to subside so that I could get to sleep. Still awake with sinus pain around 1am the ibuprofen was located to get some semblance of rest. Sunrise came around 5:30 and quickly began making a sauna inside of the tent. Determined to slog on through this day, and really with no alternate options, I rode into the next town to get cold medicine. It worked well at first to just dull the cold symptoms, but as the sun dug in reaching 100 degrees I turned into a zombie. 61 miles today of which for the last 30 or so I don’t remember thinking about anything other than sleep. The legs took over saying “I gotchya bro” to my brain thankfully on an almost abandoned stretch of Highway 66. Pedaling into Ludlow shortly after 2 today I checked the price of the small motel in town and found it was under $50. Done. I asked for the room with the coldest A/C, and got a few hours rest prior to doing some cycling chores. As for tomorrow I’ll have to see how I feel in the morning before pressing on. There’s a rough stretch ahead - about 120 miles to a campground, so I’m not going to put myself through another day like today if I need to rest tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment