May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Day 24 & 25 - San Francisco to Monterey, CA


The vacation from the vacation this weekend was extremely enjoyable. Definitely refreshing to have all of our modern creature comforts at my fingertips again. After a BBQ on Saturday, and subsequent recovery day Sunday, it was time to get back to being a homeless vagrant before I became consumed with complacency. 

Early Monday morning I set off to the Golden Gate to continue on this journey. Unfortunately,  the turnoff right before the bridge was missed and so I didn’t actually ride over it and snap a shot of the beautiful landmark. I ended up pushing off around 10:30 somewhere about a mile south of the toll plaza. The ride through San Fran was really cool! I’ve driven through the business districts a few times, but this was a new perspective as I rode through residential backroads. I’d assumed the ride yesterday would have me rolling through development for most of the day, and then was surprised to find myself back in the sticks ten miles into it. The hot sun and lack of rain was in stark contrast to what I’ve encountered over the past few days, and seemed to melt the miles away even deep into the afternoon. At mile 50 there was a hostel, but was fully booked. At mile 60 a KOA that was price gouging. At that point there was roughly two hours of daylight left, but fresh legs inspired me to push on and make an 83 mile day to spend the night in Santa Cruz. When I reached town it was dark and oh so easy to whip out that credit card for a motel room. 

45 more miles today (Tuesday) brought me into a campground in Monterey. Plenty of country roads and even a good chunk of bike trail, which is just such a better day than I had on US 1 during Memorial Day. I’ll hit the town of Big Sur tomorrow, but the road closure I need to traverse across is still a ways south around Gorda, CA. Tomorrow I’ll make it to camp just above that town with the hopes of crossing the slide area Thursday morning. Further planning on all that is needed and that’s what I’ll be researching tonight. Not sure what happens if you’re caught on a closed highway, but intend not to find out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment