May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 23 [Martha, TX]

Last night I set my tent up under some lighting that I had not noticed during the day time.  Since I was too lazy to move it I didn't get a great night's rest.  The 74 miles today seemed to drag on forever.  Between where I left and where I ended up there was one small town with nothing open except, oddly enough, a dentist's office.  I popped in there and filled up my water holdings before pressing onward.  Also along the desolate ride through nothing but mile after mile of ranch land I found this Prada building.  It was literally at least 35 miles in any direction from even the nearest gas station.  It had a few purses and pairs of shoes showing in the windows, but a sign explained that it was some sort of art piece and that door to the store could never be opened.  Weird.  The tail end of the ride today was a little bit miserable.  I had nothing left that I wanted to give and my ass was killing me.  I was stopping every mile or two to get off the saddle for a moment.  I think a shorter day is in order for tomorrow.  I am also pissed off that I am spending the night in some hippie campground with "communal showers".  In this instance this means that you basically just stand outside naked.  You also go number two outside as well.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if they didn't charge for this nonsense, but they do.  What the hell is wrong with these people?

3 comments:

  1. OK, you know this trip is getting stranger by the mile....Prada showcased as art in a desolate area...what, who, why??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The homage to PRADA is weird. Sorry to find humor in your distress, but your description of tonight's accommodations elicited a good old fashioned belly laugh. Is it safe to say you are not considering a permanent move to Texas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny! I've actually heard of the Prada art thing, but I didn't remember it was in Texas. Good to have some random oddball things to break up the desert type ride!

    ReplyDelete