May 1st - July 7th, 2018 | 3,xxx miles (Pacific Coast to Grand Canyon to Lake Tahoe, CA)

March 2nd - May 2nd, 2012 | 2,780 miles (San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL)

Monday, February 13, 2012

I made it through Kansas today, well most of it, and am staying in an exquisitely run down motel about 40 miles from the Colorado border.  Yesterday I drove only a few hours from St. Louis to Kansas City, MO and stayed with Terry an Andy, some extended family members from my bro's side of the family.  They were awesome people who fed me an epic home-cooked chili dinner and let me sleep in what was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in!  On the way to their place I stopped in Columbia to visit the home of the #3 college basketball team in the nation, go Mizzou!  I also made it to Kansas University today, but felt that their basketball arena was too crappy to warrant a picture.  Sorry KU.
 I also visited, according to my research (highway billboards), the only museum in the state of Kansas.  Yea, you guessed it, the Wizard of Oz museum.  Of course they didn't have a pair of authentic "ruby slippers" from the movie, but they did have an informative sign explaining that there are only five pairs in existence - and among those only four are accounted for.  Oh well, at least it was only a $4 tour, and I got to get my picture taken with a plastic version of Judy Garland.
 The biggest realization I've had today is that Kansas is not a state that anyone should ever drive through more than once.  The picture below sums up EVERYTHING that you will see traveling across I-70 for the almost 400 miles that Kansas spans.  I feel bad, but Kansas is truly a fly-over state if there ever was one.  However, if you are interested in buying an affordable plot of land about the size of Delaware, then look no further!

2 comments: